New Zealand Cricket has confirmed that the team’s tour of Pakistan has been abandoned, with players and officials returning home due to “government security alert”.
New Zealand national cricket team players have abandoned their tour of Pakistan after the government security alert was issued.
Henry Nicholls and Tom Latham of New Zealand during a practice session in Rawalpindi on Thursday.
Following a “security warning” issued by the New Zealand government, the men’s team has canceled their trip to Pakistan.
On Friday, the Black Caps were scheduled to face Pakistan in the first of three one-day internationals in Rawalpindi before heading to Lahore for a five-match Twenty20 series.
England’s men’s and women’s teams are scheduled to play in Rawalpindi next month, and the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has said that the matches will be decided “within the next 24-48 hours.”
The men and women will play a double-header T20 international on October 13 and 14, followed by three One-Day Internationals on October 17, 19, and 21.
After “an increase in the New Zealand official danger levels for Pakistan,” New Zealand decided to cancel their trip.
New Zealand Cricket (NZC) has said that it would not comment on the specifics of the security concern, while preparations are being made for the team’s return to New Zealand.
“I realize that this will be a setback for the PCB (Pakistan Cricket Board), who have been fantastic hosts, but player safety is paramount, and we feel this is the only responsible choice,” NZC chief executive David White said.
For the first time since the Sri Lanka team bus was attacked in 2009, Pakistan played a Test at home in December 2019.
Pakistan has played the bulk of its ‘home’ matches in the United Arab Emirates since 2009, frequently in front of small audiences, due to foreign teams’ refusal to visit due to security concerns.
New Zealand Cricket was informed of ‘fool-proof security measures’ by Pakistan.
The PCB stated in a statement that Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan, a former Pakistan cricket captain, has talked to New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and assured her that “no security danger of any sort exists for the visiting squad.”
The statement stated, “Earlier today, New Zealand Cricket told us that they had been alerted to some security alert and had unilaterally chosen to postpone the series.”
“For all visiting teams, the Pakistan Cricket Board and the Pakistan government established foolproof security preparations.” New Zealand Cricket has been assured of the same.
“The Prime Minister of Pakistan talked directly with the Prime Minister of New Zealand, informing her that Pakistan has one of the finest intelligence systems in the world and that the visiting delegation faces no security threats.”
“Throughout their time in Pakistan, the security personnel accompanying the New Zealand team have been pleased with the security measures provided by the Pakistan government.”
“The PCB is ready to keep the planned matches going. This last-minute withdrawal, though, would upset cricket fans in Pakistan and across the globe.”
“Totally endorse the decision that’s been taken,” Ardern said, adding, “Player safety needs to be foremost.”
“Extremely upset on the sudden delay of the series, which might have brought happiness back to millions of Pakistan cricket fans,” Pakistan captain Babar Azam wrote.
“I have complete faith in our security services’ skills and trustworthiness.”
Rameez Raja, chairman of the PCB, said:external-link “I feel terrible for our supporters and players. It’s extremely irritating to walk out of a tour by taking a unilateral stance on a security issue. It’s much worse when it’s not shared. At the ICC (International Cricket Council), New Zealand will hear us out.”
“We’re aware of New Zealand’s decision to withdraw from the Pakistan tour owing to a security alert,” the ECB stated in a statement.
“We’re in contact with our security team in Pakistan to have a better understanding of the situation. The ECB board will then determine whether or not our scheduled trip should go forward in the following 24-48 hours.”
The last Test between England and India was called off at the last minute at Old Trafford last week after the visitors reported a number of Covid-19 cases inside their camp, and England has postponed their own scheduled trip of Bangladesh until 2023.
The indian cricket team is a new name for the pakistan national cricket team. They have abandoned their tour of New Zealand after the government issued a security alert.
- pakistan cricket team players
- new zealand tour of pakistan 2021
- pak vs nz
- bbc news
- south africa cricket team